Wednesday, May 3, 2017

PTI MIM: Watercolor Wash Backgrounds

5/3/17 ** Laurie has some great tips on working with watercolors as background for this weeks PTI MIM! I still have trouble with using watercolors but I think I'm getting better. I am not comfortable when I don't have control over my work and it comes out however. Such is the nature of watercolor but it's so beautiful when done right.

I tried both of Laurie's methods. My waves card was accomplished by inking my stamp blocks from ink pads
(don't own any re-inkers). Colors attained this way are not as intense. I embossed my waves from What the Doodle: Waves and then applied color with a paintbrush followed by splattering some watered down white & Blueberry Sky. The paper was still a bit wet with the splattered drops and yielded a "mottled" look.

The watercolor look on my second card was achieved thru the Zig Clean Color markers which always create vivid colors and are so easy to use. I layered Betsy's cute Cloche Quarters dome with a spring filler for the inside (love this set) atop my background. Also used some clear cardstock behind the outlined dome for a glass-like look. 

Thanks so much for stopping and hope you are having fun with this weeks MIM! :)
BTW, I have ordered a "real" set of Kuretake watercolors that are due to come tomorrow!
You just might see a third card pop up here as I try them out?!! Ha, ha!

Supplies: PTI What the Doodle: Waves; dye inks: Aqua Mist, Spring Rain, Blueberry Sky;
Copic Sketch, water droplets & stitched oval word windows die (from MFT).
Card #2: PTI Cloche Quarters, Cloche Quarters Spring Fillers; dye inks: Blueberry Sky, New Leaf, Ripe Avocado, Lilac Grace, Lavender Moon, Cocoa Bean; Zig Clean Color markers.






7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards! I hadn't thought of using the wave stamp set. Great idea. Love the purple, blue and green on your second card. What a stunning color selection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of your cards are just lovely Susan! Your waves came out beautifully on your first card and absolutely LOVE the intense color on your 2nd card! I just broke down and ordered a set of the Kuretake water colors too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVELY JOB!!! The first is such a BEAUTIFUL ENCOURAGING CARD & the second is LOVELY TOO! I LOOOOVE your color combo with the second! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of your cards are so pretty, one soft and one bold with gorgeous flowers! Have fun with your new water colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both gorgeous! Love the softness of the waves card and the clever way you added the sentiment. and that bold and beautiful card makes me want to case!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two fabulous cards here Susan! Your water coloring on both turned out just perfect. I struggle with not having control when water coloring too but in the end I always love the look. My new Kuretake's should be here soon as well... Let's celebrate with another card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two lovely cards Susan, but the second card is fabulous with those deep, rich colors! I also have trouble with watercoloring and never thought to use my Zigs. Thanks for the tip on using a better paint...maybe I will order the Kuretake set!

    ReplyDelete